Saturday, October 3, 2009

Getting Back in Shape

You probably know by now, i'm really really satisfied with my most recent triathlon. With an official timing of 2:35, it's a huge improvement to my earlier OSIM time of 3:08. Of course, i had lots of support and advise, so big love and thanks to them.

Then i took a weeks' break and boy did i really enjoy. Ate as much junk food as i wanted, overate almost every meal and i felt bloated almost all the time. I could feel all greased up inside and due to all the oily, spicy food, my body got so heaty.

Reality struck when last week, i got back to training. It was so darn demoralising, because it was like waking up in a totally different body. When i started running, i felt out of breath and tired just after 15 minutes. You know me well enough to tell that i don't mean to brag, but i used to run comfortable for 50minutes. Now, it's just 15. Feet felt like it was filled with lead and i could really feel myself carrying the additional weight.

So i ran for 4 consecutive days to get back up to speed. That was last week. So currently, i'm almost getting back to shape. I've done my usual 14km runs and did a 21km yesterday. It's abit different now that i'm training for a marathon. I feel that it's more difficult psychologically as it's not exactly as mentally-stimulation as a triathlon with the thrill of transitions, alertness during the bike leg, etc.

Marathons just mean run, run, run and run. After last night's run, my threshold so far is 2hour25minutes. After that, i feel mentally bored and my muscles start to complain.

Well, according to my training plan, i'll be doing the usual 14-16km run during the weekdays and a long (gradually increasing from 21km to 36/39km) run on the weekends.

Next up, Standard Chartered 42km!

No comments:

Post a Comment