Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Waiting for the Six...

I did a good run yesterday, and that's giving me motivation to do another one tonight. But my legs are still aching, so i should give it some rest. At this point of time, i'm finding harder and harder to find motivation to do my runs.

Perhaps it's been 3 years since i've committed myself to doing endurance events and the fact i've pretty much reached where i can go as an amateur. I'm really blessed to have a job that allows me to commit that much time/energy to training and preparing for races. If i had been in an agency (which i am actually planning to go back to), i doubt i'd have the luxury. Secondly, i'm so thankful to have advice from professionals - specifically dieting. Professional athletes pay for such services. I have a good friend who kindly does it for me, for free!..professionally i might add. Awesome.

I used to have an avid supporter who would be there for all my events. Sounds superficial but think about this - whether you are running your first race, or doing your third full marathon, knowing that there's someone waiting for you at the finishing line, patiently waiting, even though you'd probably take another hour, makes a hell lot of difference.

He/she is eagerly waiting to see your body appear round the bend. He/she's cramped up with hundred of other supporters under the blazing midday sun, and yes, he/she hates crowds.

And he/she is willing to support you. Now how does that sound? I'm only too grateful and to have lost such a supporter is really sad. If you have someone like that for you, i hope you're not taking him/her for granted.

Not letting this get me down, i still want to keep going. I'm still going to keep training and i definitely want to get faster. But now, i think i'm going to hit another wall.. bad timing of course, considering i've got 42km in 5 weeks' time, and an Ironman in March next year.

Shucks. If only i could just turn professional for couple of months, that would be so cool. The closest i'm getting to that is via Lance Armstrong's tweets. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment