Thursday, March 31, 2011

Over view

My first race of 2011 will be the 2XU 12km Compression Run happening in 10 days time. Like most other races, I do not feel prepared for this event. With an average of three 12km runs a week, I am highly doubtful of doing a personal best, although finishing it will not be a problem.


I have no problem being mentally ready for a 12km run race as well; having done marathons before, I still find the latter more mental than physical. So my only wish for this race is to kickstart my motivation to train hard again.


I used to remember training 6 times a week, alternating between running, swimming and abit of cycling to prepare for triathlons. Those days made me sacrifice a lot of time with close friends. During the start of the year, I’ve admittedly neglected training by catching up with these friends and making new ones in the process. I have no regrets and someday perhaps I can say that I found that happiness by growing that special bond with a special someone.


Growing that special bond would mean spending more time and emotional investment. Will I be ready to do that when the opportunity really presents itself? I know I will not say ‘no’ when that happens, but not because I’m easy (I can hear your sniggers), but because if I’m already at that stage, it means I’ve already given it enough thought to know that that is what I want. And as selfish as it may sound, I want a happy relationship, to always have a good laugh with my peeps, and a healthy career.


Although it does not feel like it has been only three months (feels so much longer), I’m glad I’m back at a challenging environment that is giving me a lot of opportunity to improve, and prove, myself. I’m learning so much and am constantly being exposed to industry experts and am soaking up the experience. I have toyed with the idea that since I’m still young and single, I’ll gladly accept an overseas posting if given the opportunity to.


But all these plans to further develop my career overseas and training hard will take a backseat if I ever get into a relationship again. Will i?

2 comments:

  1. You know even if you get into a relationship again, that should not hamper your career opportunities. It is something to think through when the opportunity arises and to work around. A relationship does not mean that you have to give up an interesting career opportunity or vice versa. It's about how you work through it, I guess and adjusting your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but adjusting expectations is still a form of compromise too right?

    honestly, i've not experienced a perfect scenario. Close to it, but not perfect yet.

    but if all else fails... X.H.T.is back! Jeng! Jeng! Jeng!

    ReplyDelete