Saturday, November 28, 2009

Now i'm nervous

Ok. So, now i'm nervous.

Had a really good look at next Sunday's race route to get myself mentally prepared. The mixed emotions are finally settling in. Checking out my route; it's almost similar to last year's (how different could it get right?) and i've been training on a good part of it, from Kallang MRT to the National Sailing Centre and back, during my long weekend runs.

Looking at my preparation, i should be able to improve on last year's timing. That's if all conditions warrant it - like my knee and if i pace myself correctly so i don't walk out the last 10km. Preparing myself mentally meant that i can imagine the atmosphere at the start line. This year, being the third time i'm running in Stan Chart, the euphoria doesn't seem to attract me anymore. Don't get me wrong, the adrenalin and novelty of it all was what helped me finish the races and made it memorable.

But I'm not cajoled by it anymore. I don't fancy the high-5s to your neighbouring runners, waving your hands as you start/finish, the hordes of female supporters cheering you on as if they really want to have your children, the finisher shirt that everybody will be proudly wearing for the next couple of weeks.

I just hope for a quiet, focused race. Doing everything right - the pace, the right time to drink or consume the gel - and the satisfaction of knowing i stuck to the game plan and it worked.
That's the only reason why i'm nervous now - all that i've done will culminate in 5hours (hopefully less) next Sunday morning. I've enjoyed the peripherals of the event, now i just want to perform.




Oh, and maybe wear that finisher T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment